Heating equipment is one of the leading causes of fires in households, and half of these incidents are reported during December, so below are some simple ways in which you can prevent any problems from happening this Winter!
- Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heating equipment. This goes for appliances such as furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves and portable space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home, always use your heater or fireplace, but always be careful.
- Test your smoke alarms at least once a month and if they fail to work, replace the batteries as soon as possible so you are notified if there is a fire.
- Always remember to turn your portable heaters off if you leave the house or go to bed, unplug them as well just to be sure.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure it has a protective screen in front of it to prevent any sparks flying off and causing a fire.
- Have your heating equipment and chimneys checked and inspected every hear by a professional to avoid any possible incidents.
- Always have a qualified professional install heating and gas appliances in your home as you and them could be breaking the law if you don’t. It’s also always better to be safe than sorry.
- Always use the right kind of fuel for burning space heaters with as the wrong kind can cause accidents.
- Always make sure children stay at least three feet away from any space heaters at all times to prevent any accidents from occurring.
Christmas is supposed to an enjoyable time with your family, so it’s always best to stay safe and follow the above follow so you don’t have any Christmas nightmares. If you need any further help or have any enquiries, please do not hesitate to call.