Being energy efficient is a step towards lowering your bill every month, living on a cleaner planet and looking after those around you. These top 10 tips below will help you to save more energy in and around your time, it doesn’t take money, or a huge investment, all it takes is a little bit of time and patience.
- Switch off/Unplug any phone chargers or appliances you don’t need on. If they’re hot to touch and you’re not using them, then you’re just wasting energy.
- Turning your boiler down won’t necessarily save you money. If you have a room thermostat, then turn it down to the maximum setting and if you don’t, it’s best to set your boiler to whatever you’re comfortable with.
- Washing at 30C instead of 40C or higher will use less electricity and save you a third of what you’re paying already.
- Use a pressure cooker if you have one, as it takes half the time needed than when you cook in an oven and overall uses less energy and electricity, plus it’s a time saver!
- Keep draughts out, if you can’t afford proper double glazing then try the cheap alternative – glazing film as for 4 windows in will only cost around £8.
- Insulate your home! Loft insulation cane save you up to £140 a year and cavity wall insulation can save you up to £160 a year.
- Always think ahead, set your heating to come on 15-30 before you need it and turn it off 30 minutes earlier before you go to bed.
- Be efficient with your heaters, especially if you have strong ones. Keep them at a constant temperature but turn it down to the minimum when you don’t need it on!
- Always check your energy label when buying an appliance! Buying an energy efficient fridge or freezer will save you up to £71. Make sure you take the size into account as well.
- Use central heating, it’s cheaper and more efficient, you can even test this yourself by comparing your meter readings.